This decadent holiday combination pairs a soft and chewy chocolate cookie with crunchy peppermint candy on top. These gems are great plain or try them with a double glaze.
Here’s a decadent holiday combination: soft and chewy chocolate on the inside with a little peppermint candy crunch on top. These gems are great plain or we offer a double glaze option, too. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely crushed hard peppermint candies
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Additional coarsely crushed hard peppermint candies, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons milk (optional)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels, melted (optional)
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup crushed peppermint and 6 Tbsp. sugar. Let cool 30 minutes.
- Add eggs to melted chocolate, 1 at a time, stirring well. Stir in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to chocolate mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in chocolate morsels. Cover and chill dough 2 hours or until firm enough to shape.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2″ balls; place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12 to 13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and cracked on top. Sprinkle coarsely crushed peppermints onto cookies; press candy lightly into cookies. Let cookies cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over cooled cookies, if desired. Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired. Sprinkle cookies again with chopped peppermint, if desired. Let cookies stand until glaze and chocolate are firm.